Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Intervention Time!


This, I believe, is my favorite project so far. For my intervention I decided to go with a real world meets cartoon clash. For my monument I chose the mechanics monument on Market st in the financial district. I felt this was the perfect statue do to its overly masculine style. What I decided to add to the statue was bristol paper cut outs of dead, smashed and bloodied bunnies along with blood splatters.
The main point that I was trying to get across, although fairly abstractly, was the conquering and slaughter of nature through MANkind's endeavors to advance technology. I chose bunnies in particular because they are one of natures gentle creature that have only prey. They are not predators. Bunnies, in this instance, symbolize innocent as well as nature. Not only has mankind ravaged nature but has also slowly killed human/ mammal innocence in pursuit of becoming "superior".



Here is a site that describes the history of the Donahue brothers:
http://www.baycrossings.com/archives/2000/05_May_June/bay_characters.htm

Here is a brief description of the Donahue memorial fountain aka the mechanics monument:
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM4PPG_Mechanic_Monument_San_Francisco_CA



This project has spawned numerous other ideas such as creating a parking fee sign that should be placed at a specific on ramp in my hometown that is constantly packed with rush hour traffic that normally leads commuters to sitting on the on ramp for minutes at a time without moving.

There is also a third project Id like to do that involve an overpass in Pittsburg that is great for putting up posters due to the heavy rush hour traffic that creeps beneath it. This project would involve putting up a large poster that reads: SUPPORT CHILDRENS ART. This poster would be paired with cartoon characters that has a children's story style to them.

I really enjoy mixing cartoon with reality. Its like real life photoshop!

No comments:

Post a Comment