Saturday, September 15, 2012

Week 1 Fantasy

So here is my stab at the weekly drawing thing we have going on.  I wanted to do a wood nymph...I just always kind of liked them...I dunno why. So I went online and did some research. Nymph's originated from greek mythology and were considered divine creatures that brought nature to life.  They are normally depicted as young, beautiful women who dance and sing. This, however, was not the only kind of wood nymph I came across. Apparently there is a breed of butterfly known as "the common woodnymph." It's a rather plan and ordinary looking butterfly but I decided I wanted to combine the two ideas.  I knew I wanted the character to be singing with a bird so for an extra challenge I picked a real world area for these characters to originate from.  Since the "common wood nymph" is indigenous to north america, I thought it would be fun to depict a wood nymph that could exist in the Sierra Nevada. Lets make it local, right?! I then looked into common songbird types that exist in the Sierra and came up with the mountain chickadee. I also looked into different types of mushrooms that exist in the area. Overall, I like the piece.  I'm not sure how effective those green shadows are but I thought they were fun to experiment with :3 I wish I used a yellow light as a light source, not a white one. oh well.

1 comment:

  1. I love how you did research into the local plants and birds XD

    ReplyDelete