Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Week 3...Groovalicious ROOOOOOBOOOOOOTS!!!



So for week three Miku decided on the theme of robots! I was all for it! I already had this character in mind that I wanted to do. It was one that I had sketched on some notes from class but I knew I had to do more research of.  I came up with the idea of a 70's robot....one that was made of computers from the 70's as well as was dressed in seventies style. I looooove the idea of the fringe leather vest with bare chest and I also love the creeper aviator glasses!

As far as research went, I had to look into whether or not computers were small enough in that era to fit into homes. I wasn't sure of the history of the home computer. Luckily the interwebs is the master of answering all questions and I found out that home computers were available in this period however they were pricey. Did you know the first "portable" computer weighed 55 pounds? crazy!

Anyways, this robot's torso is based on the 70's computer model texas instrument (the people who now bring you calculators) TI 99/4. This bad boy came complete with software that was in the form of cartridges (this is pre floppy disk guys!). Its like shoving super nintendo cartridges into you computer in order to make it run....soooo inefficient!

His head, however, is based on a set up I believe my dad still has. It's a reel to reel music player....I believe is also plays 8 tracks....however I'm not sure.  This model is called the akai 4000ds mkii reel to reel (circa 1977). You had to pair it with speakers...which I've incorporated as the robots ears.

Keeping with the 70's theme, I had the robot participate in roller disco. Having recently bought some sweet skates myself, I just had to incorporate them. His attire I tried to keep in a 70's sort of color scheme: red, yellow, brown. And who could resist the use of a fro? The answer: no one!

2 comments:

  1. This guy is adorable. Am I'm loving the funky background, too. And his crazy mustache that flows with the wind. I need to like.. draw more. I'm stuck xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha this is amazing. Now i want to redo mine :P

    I also love how the capture to post comments wants me to prove I'm not a robot, how fitting :)

    ReplyDelete