Sunday, January 13, 2013

Day 23 Yokai...And Bad Imitation of Ink Painting.

So according to the all powerful wikipedia, a yokai is a catch term for all japanese supernatural beings. There are so many that I ended up picking one that sounded the most interesting.

A kitsune is japanese for fox but within the realm of yokai, a kitsune is a shape shifting fox that varies in personality. Kitsune often shape shift into young girls, beautiful women and old men. It is said that if you come across a beautiful women alone in the forest, she is a kitsune in disguise.

For my yokai picture I wanted to go for a sumi-e style of painting. I was aiming toward a Hokusai-esque digital painting but...haha....of course one can only ever aim for Hokusai greatness but can never obtain Hokusai greatness. I chose a brush that I hoped would imitate the undulation of an ink brush line but it fell short. However, I have a fondness for the piece, despite it not coming out quite right.


No comments:

Post a Comment